Luisa's Lens

"The more we study, we the more discover our ignorance." - Percy Blysshe Shelley

Monday, November 30, 2009

Porsche Commercial: My Participation and Analysis



The experience of making a commercial taught me several things about the media in general. First of all, I learned how to create my own commercial, and all the effort that goes into targeting an audience. I never know how many details go into targeting an audience.

I have to say that preparing for this presentation was quite an experience. With three people, I think we were the smallest group and only two of us actually discussed the project outside of class. Last week, Theressa added me on facebook to try to get some ideas together for the presentation. She came up with the idea of showing a clip from an old movie to show the expected position of the White man in the early twentieth century. Later on, I thought that it would be a better idea to show two videos, one older and one younger, to demonstrate orientalism and postcolonialism. I found the two videos that I posted on WebCT (Commando Duck and Samurai Champloo) and got together some quotes to be able to discuss them in class. I was disappointed when we couldn't connect the laptop in the classroom, but the game ended up taking up enough time for our presentation.

On Tuesday, Theressa and I found out third member, Johnny, and talked about possible ideas. During that class I came up with the idea of using a game. I originally had two games that I wanted to use, one was A-Line B-Line to demonstrate the idea of privilege and show that what is considered privileged does not reflect one's ideas in the class room. The game we ended up using was Four Corners. It was a game we had used in another class. I actually had six questions prepared for that game, but I don't know why Theressa only ended up asking three of those questions. I honestly think we should have asked all six to get the class to move around more.

I also purchased the candy rewards on the way to class today. That wasn't actually planned, but because every other group this semester had some kind of incentive for participants, I felt it was almost a requirement.

So, in summary, my part in the participation was deciding on the videos, posting those videos to WebCT, planning the game, coming up with the questions for the game, and buying the chocolate rewards. I think the presentation went okay but I can also think of some ways it could have been better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home